Friday 25 July 2014

Canada to Mexico Day 7

Miles Today = 56
Total Miles = 316

It nearly had my bloody leg that damn dog!!

I got up at about 0730 to make sure I caught Noreen before she went to work I had to say a big thank you for hosting me.  The food she cooked was lovely, I had my clothes washed and dried and the guest room was so comfy I had the best nights sleep I can remember in a long time.  I suppose the setting of the house all went to make it a peaceful experience.  Bob made me a super breakfast, oatmeal, pastries and coffee, fruit for the journey.  I wrote in the journal they keep of all the people they host for.  We went outside for final photographs then I was on my way.  I am meeting so many lovely people through this www.warmshowers.org experience, if the world was full of people like this we would not have any problems as all.  I have got a host for the next two nights then I am camping for about seven nights.

It was one of those days which was all about getting you head down and turning the pedals. The weather was not good again, which means the wind was also blowing from the south (against me) which was a bit annoying.  All the forecasts are saying that it is going to start to get much nicer which means the wind should blow the way it is meant to at this time of year.

Everybody though is talking about the weeks of 90 degree heat they have had to endure so they were quite grateful for this bit of rain they have had.  Everybody is also telling me about the scenery I am going to see on the next part of the trip.  "Blow my mind" they say.  I say "it has already been blown". 

I have come across a few barking dogs, but normally they stop at the end of their drive or garden. As I was going past this one drive there were two huge dogs. They were not even barking, but I caught the eye of one of them and it started to chase and bark. Luckily I was in the correct gear and I got my legs a spinning.  Sometimes, even on the flat, to give my arse a rest I might get into a harder gear so I can stand up for a minute of so, if I had been doing that at that point the dog would of had my leg, if I had been going up an hill the dog would have had my leg, if the dog was coming out of a drive on my side of the road he would of had my leg.  He meant business!  But I managed to get up to full speed quickly and I seas impressed that I could out sprint it with my luggage, but I was worried about which one of us was going to get tired first.  He lost that one :)

I got to my new hosts in Centralia and met David and his partner Ardeth. They have been really nice. I got a shower and they made a nice meal.  Looking around the house I spotted a picture of a bear and I was told that it is a photo their neighbour took of a bear that keeps on pestering the trash can....... umm, nice to know, but I keep on getting told about the other stuff that is going to me more of a pain, particularly, down south, the cocky racoons that will go through your bags and every else to get what they want.  David is going to sort me out with some breakfast at about 0700 in the morning because I have a long day tomorrow, it is going to be an 80 miler with a fully stacked bike.  Not many pictures today, as stated above, this was just a day about 'getting there'.  

The nice weather and the vistas are just around the corner.








No comments:

Post a Comment